Tuesday, February 9, 2016

"Do You Know What Smart Meters Are?"


Note: When I use the term "smart meter," I am referring to any utility meter that has a wireless component that transmits data.  I also call the new gas meters "smart meters," because they pulse radio frequency radiation 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just like electric and water "smart meters."  Even though the gas companies call their new meters AMR ERT (automatic read encoder receiver transmitter), and insist they are not "smart meters," I still call them "smart meters."
    
Another "Say No To Smart Meters!" activist gave me the above name tag last summer, and I've been wearing it everywhere I go.

Whenever I notice someone looking at the name tag, I look at them, smile, and say: 

"Say no to smart meters!"
Some people just turn and look away, and that's the end of it.  In my mind I bless them, then look away also.  

For those who don't look away, who either continue looking at the name tag, or who look directly at me, I ask:

"Do you know what smart meters are?"
The people I've talked to either, (1) have never heard of smart meters, (2) have heard the term "smart meters," but don't know what they are, (3) know enough about smart meters to be very interested in what I have to say about them, or (4) say they love their smart meter (actually, only one person has said that to me).

About a handful of people I've talked to are aware of some, if not all, of the "issues" with smart meters (see links below):

  • Health - There are 1000's of studies that show that the radio frequency radiation pulses of smart meters cause biological harm to humans, and many people have become very ill after their installation, myself included; there's another issue with "dirty electricity" that smart meters and the digital "opt-out" meters create, which can be just as debilitating to our health
  • Security - There's lots of hackers in the world, and many people are very concerned about this so-called "smart grid" network our houses and our "smart" appliances will be connected to via a "smart meter"
  • Privacy - The data utility companies collect can show very personal information about us, and the data is sometimes sold; utility companies have admitted that the data is "worth trillions"
  • Safety - Electric smart meters have been known to catch fire or explode, though it seems like there's been a lot of cover-up going on around that
The vast majority of people I've spoken with know little to nothing about them.  So that is where the conversation begins.  

Recently...

One day about a week ago, I was in a "big-box" store, second or third in line, when I noticed the man behind me looking at my "Say No To Smart Meters!" name tag.  So I smiled and said my line:
"Say no to smart meters!"
Instead of looking at me, or looking away, this man looked down and didn't say anything.  Just as I was about to turn away, he looked up and our eyes met.  Then he spoke softly: 
"I guess I don't know enough about smart meters to say 'yes' or 'no' to them."
I smiled and nodded, then responded:
"I mean no disrespect, sir, but that is part of the problem.  It seems like there's been quite a media blackout about smart meters in Michigan.  So you're not alone.  I've heard (via Public Works Director in Battle Creek, Perry Hart) that about 30% of Michigan utility customers now have 'radio reading' technology, but only about 1 in 10 of the people I've talked to know what they are."
"There's actually State and Federal laws that make it unlawful for anyone to install a radio device on private property without the property owner's knowledge and consent, but utility companies are doing it all over the United States, and so far, getting away with it."
I went on to explain why I am so passionate about saying "no" to smart meters, and the horrendous health issues I went through shortly after they were installed where I live.

We also talked about the FCC, conflicts of interest there, how the FCC does not protect us, and how radiation limits in the United States are among the highest in the world:



Information...

So if you don't know enough about smart meters to say 'yes' or 'no' to them, you're not alone.  Utility companies and mainstream media have done an excellent job at keeping utility customers uninformed about "radio reading technology."

If you want to learn more about smart meters, here are some places to start:

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Radiofrequency Radiation Is Dangerous - It Could Kill You"

  Until about six year ago I had no idea there was a need for “safer technology.”  I’d been using computers ever since the 1970’s, though I ...