March 27, 2017 (Delivered today, March 28, 2017)
To: The Members of the Michigan House Energy Policy Committee
Re: HB 4220 - Analog Utility Meter Choice Legislation - an open letter
Honorable Members of the Energy Policy Committee,
As a member of this committee, your decisions not only affect your constituents, but every child, woman, and man in all of
When it comes time to vote on HB 4220, please remember a few things:
- The fire chief who thankfully was home when his new smart meter arced and nearly caught his cabin on fire.1
Detroitcouple who's dogs were killed in a smart meter house fire.2
- The autistic children who, it is known, do better in an environment low in electromagnetic fields and low in dirty electricity.3
- The parents of autistic children, some of whom may not be able to afford "opt-out" fees to keep radiofrequency radiation emitting and dirty electricity creating electronic meters off their homes.
- Newborn babies whose tiny skulls are much thinner than 200-pound men used for testing the penetration depth of radiofrequency radiation.4
perhaps hundreds of
Michiganresidents who have been testifying about ill effects experienced after smart or electronic meter installations.5
- The Michigan residents who have withstood two (or more) Michigan winters with no electricity due to power being cut by the utility companies because they refused a smart or electronic meter. Some of these people had severe adverse physical reactions to smart and electronic meters, and removed or had them removed, to save their lives.
When I was in my 30's, only a few people had cell phones. Today, most everyone has a cell phone, even some toddlers. Did you know that malignant brain tumors are now the top cause of cancer deaths in adolescents?6 That wasn't so when I was in my 30's.
Cell phones are a choice we don't have to pay extra to not have. Some
residents were already avoiding cell phones when smart or electronic meters
were installed, or forced, onto their homes.
Many of these people were then thrown into full-blown
Did you know there are reliable disease bio-markers that characterize and identify electrosensitivity?7 This is a real condition, and some other countries are recognizing it and taking measures to reduce radiofrequency and wireless radiation in public places.8
Most people recover from electrosensitivity when electromagnetic fields in their environment are reduced or eliminated, though a growing number of people become hypersensitive to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) and become "EMF refugees", constantly seeking out "white zones" free of EMFs, in order to not experience debilitating symptoms.9
On the one side we have utility meters (analog) that have been in use for more years than you or I have been alive, with no issues of privacy, fire safety, cyber attacks, plus they don't emit radiofrequency radiation (a class 2B carcinogen)10, and they don't create dirty electricity.11 Plus, they take a miniscule amount of energy to operate.
On the other side we have electronic utility meters that take more energy to operate (adding to peak demand), emit a class 2B carcinogen, create dirty electricity, collect and record granulated data about our personal habits, and are easily hacked by some. Plus, smart meters have probably started more fires in their short history than all the fires started by analog meters in the last 100 years.
The precautionary principle states, "that the introduction of a new product or process whose ultimate effects are disputed or unknown should be resisted."
So-called smart and electronic metering falls within the precautionary principle description.
Please be a hero in the eyes of those who are aware of the issues around electronic metering and support HB 4220, an analog choice without added fees. You will not regret it.
(Signed) Jeanine Deal
6. Brain tumors now the most frequent form of cancer in US adolescents: Ground-breaking American study
10. IARC (International Agency for Research onCancer) Classifies Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields as PossiblyCarcinogenic to Humans
11. Electromagnetic hypersensitivity: biologicaleffects of dirty electricity with emphasis on diabetes and multiple sclerosis